Some people find the following things helpful when having thoughts of suicide
Use your coping skills. Examples might be:
- Relaxation techniques
- Deep breathing
Call/text a friend or loved one
- Let them know you’re having a difficult day
- Ask if they can spend some time with you
- Go for a bike ride or a walk
- Watch you favorite TV show or movie
- Go to your favorite place or store
Go somewhere you feel safe
- Visit a friend or loved one’s home
- Visit your favorite place or store
Make your environment safe
- Ask a friend or loved one to store your medications and firearms
- Lock up medications and firearms
If you don’t feel you can keep yourself safe right now, seek immediate help, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255
After a suicidal attempt
Visit our page to learn more about life after a suicidal attempt.
Find local crisis support
Follow the link to find contacts for local support services.
Veterans crisis line
Contact the Veterans crisis line for Veteran specific services.